Wednesday, October 26, 2016
The Levittown United Teachers Supplemental Benefits Fund is proud to announce a new legal services benefit available to all LUT members.
Important points to note about the new plan:
- This benefit will be provided with NO increase in union member dues.
- This benefit comes from an allocation of funds already in the budget of our Supplemental Benefits Fund.
- Each Trustee of our Supplemental Benefits Fund and our Fund Director, Debra Ruocco, fully support the adoption of this legal plan.
- In many cases, legal services in the plan are provided to LUT members at no charge. In other cases, LUT members will be asked to make reasonable co-payments only for the services they choose to utilize.
- All current LUT members are eligible. Retirees are not eligible.
Some of the services that will be provided through the new legal plan include:
- Simple Wills and Power of Attorney Document Preparation
- Living Wills and Health Care Proxies
- General Consultations
- Document Review
- Uncontested Divorce or Uncontested Legal Separation
- Personal Bankruptcy
- Consumer Protection
- Personal Injury (Negligence)
- Legal Defense
- Estate Planning for members and their parents and/or parent(s) in law
For a complete overview of benefits and co-payments, click here.
Legal Services Plan Ratification Vote Scheduled for Wednesday, November 2.
In order to make our new legal services benefit "official," a ratification vote from our membership is required.
- The vote will take place on Wednesday, November 2, 2016.
- Each LUT member in good standing is eligible to vote.
- Voting will take place during the regular school day in each school building via secret ballot.
- Information on the location of your building's ballot box will be provided by your building representatives.
Ratification on November 2 will authorize the LUT leadership to amend our contract language through a Memorandum of Agreement with the Levittown Union Free School District.
In short, our contract language will be changed to permit our Supplemental Benefits Fund to adopt this legal service plan with the understanding that the plan cannot be used for any disputes or claims against the Levittown School District or the Board of Education.
To read the exact language of the Memorandum of Agreement, click here
How Will This Legal Services Plan Work?
Our new legal services benefit will be administered by Mirkin & Gordon, P.C. of Great Neck, New York. The firm has represented our Supplemental Benefits Fund for many years.
- To receive legal plan services, call (516) 466-6030 and speak confidentially with an attorney at Mirkin and Gordon.
- Representatives of the firm will set up appointments with you in the privacy of our LUT offices.
- Appointments with representatives of Mirkin and Gordon will be scheduled after school hours on two Wednesday afternoons each month. Additional appointments may be scheduled as necessary.
- All of the legal services LUT members receive from Mirkin and Gordon are provided confidentially and without consideration of hours expended.
DON'T FORGET TO VOTE ON WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 2
FOR THIS EXTREMELY VALUABLE BENEFIT
FOR OUR MEMBERSHIP