Welcome back! I hope you all had a great summer.
I want to take this opportunity to say thank you and to reflect on all the wonderful things that we accomplished together as a Union this past year.
Last year I implored you to become more involved in your Union, especially in regards to political action and you more than answered the call. We saw victories on all levels:
- The Friedrichs case was resolved in our favor.
- Sheri Lederman won a major victory against a massively flawed value-added teacher evaluation model that is based on junk science.
- And most recently, we saw tenure laws and other job protections preserved in California despite the deep pockets of billionaires.
On the local level your efforts helped us continue to improve upon a strong union tradition that remains dedicated to educational excellence:
- Many of you served on committees - of particular note, our APPR Committee worked collaboratively with the administration to create a more than fair plan even in the face of the dreaded and unnecessary 3012d regulations.
- Many of you served as political action liaisons, building reps., mentors and delegates who helped members in your own buildings and beyond.
- Your participation in our new virtual phone banking system helped us identify pro-education households who will continue to support pro-education candidates in future elections.
- You continued to stand in support of a parents right to opt-out.
- You embraced a more modern communications system that includes a NYSUT award winning website, text blasting capabilities and, with the hard work of our Corresponding Secretary, Joseph Romano, we were able to keep you informed through 14 e-newsletters! Being union is being connected.
Look at all we can accomplish when we work together!!!
This year, I urge you to continue this momentum. It's an election year and the politicians will be watching. Regardless of whom you vote for, YOU NEED TO GET OUT AND VOTE!
Together, we can have a very powerful voice to advocate for change in public education that will help our children succeed in the 21st century. We need to regain this voice AND WE NEED TO DO IT THIS NOVEMBER!
I am proud to be part of a union that continues to lead the way in combating toxic education reform and is always putting children first.
Thank you for all that you do and have a great school year!